Find out more about the history of the Tickled Trout Inn
A BIT ABOUT the TICKLED TROUT and the VILLAGE….
In Bilton in Ainsty there are signs of pre historic habitation around the village. Bilton is an anglo saxon name meaning Bilo's homestead. The village appears in the Domesday book in 1086 as Biletone of the Annesti. Featuring in the Battle of Marston Moor 1644, when Royalist prisoners were held in St Helens church at the entrance to the village.
The Church Built in 1166 contains medieval carvings and one of a Mermaid pulling her tresses. Maybe now a fishy link to the Tickled Trout. A farming village with a population of 147. Bilton still has a cricket club founded in 1932 nicknamed the Frogs.
The Tickled Trout was originally built in the 17th Century as the Chequers Inn on the main road to York. The Mainey family bought the dilapidated pub in 2019 and closed for a six Month refurbishment. Re opening the open fires, the stone flag floors and the old oak beams. We have created five boutique bedrooms for guests.
Surrounded by Countryside, there are lots of country walks to enjoy, Wetherby races are just next door and there is nothing like just sitting in front of our crackling fires with your spaniel a pint of local Ale. WELCOME...